I see we both did some work on skills yesterday. Although considering the amount of work you did I suspect you'd already done most of it and had it sitting somewhere else, considering its length and work in progress state. This is only the second time I'm adding to any wiki so I'm sorry if I just redid something you'd already done. And I did put it in the wrong place, thanks for moving it.
I see we came up with slightly different table designs for our skills tables so I'm wondering if you'd like to come to an agreement on what table design should be used?
As I said, I'm a newbie at this. But it seems to me that we need a page for (active) abilities and maybe unit traits as well. So that these could be linked to the Skills and Units pages and you'd only need to edit one place if there are any balance changes in the future. I'm sure this can be done tho I'm not sure how. My grasp of wiki markup is rather basic atm.
You seem like you know a lot about this so I'm asking for your input.
- Hi and welcome to the wiki. I'm a bit tied up today, but will get back to you on those tomorrow. As it happens I am looking for editors to this wiki so the more the merrier :) . In the mean time, I left some general tips on your userpage. ~ SolSys (talk) 15:54, 9 August 2019 (UTC)
I did some further modifications to the table. This time I'm using a better example unit that uses all columns. I've added base cost and origin columns and made two variants, personally I prefer the second one.
Base cost is straightforward. I'm not sure about the origin column yet but I know I want something like it. As it turns out not all units are built in the colony (not even counting the NPC factions here). Some are only summonable onto the battlefield by a tactical operation (Dvar Sapper, Vanguard Valkyrie etc.) and disappear at the end of combat. Others are summoned by other units (Vanguard Engineer deploy turrets). Some appear in siege battles providing the prerequisite colony structure has been built (eg Dvar bombard). And ofc there are the research and building required to build normal higher tier units. None of this was in any way visible in the old table.
- If we could get the actual unit icons/images that would be awesome. NPC factions icons/images too.
- I haven't inspected every unit yet, but as far as I've seen all units of the same tier has the same upkeep regardless of faction. Tier 4 units have 24 and 4 in upkeep. And coming expansions might add units with more exotic upkeep I suppose.
- The Action column lists the units Active Abilities, eg weapons abilities, buffing abilities etc that can be used in battle. The Dvar colonizer doesn't have any Active Abilities which is why it's empty. Strictly speaking, the in-game view shows 4 different categories of abilities/traits, separated by horizontal rulers. Active Abilities, Resistances, Passive Abilities, Traits. This table lumps the resistances in with the passive abilities and named the active abilities column actions instead. I don't know why. I didn't make the original table, I only added some things. I didn't see any reason to change it either, both the Resistances and Passive Abilities are... passive... *shrug* They are functionally similar.
- Addendum: I've spotted some... irregularities in how some abilities/types of abilities are placed in the in-game unit viewer. For example, Overwatch is placed with thew passive abilities in-game, but by my definition, it is very much an active ability, since it appears on your ability bar and you use it in combat. Also secret tech unit passive ability/trait. Most secret tech has a trait among the passive abilities, but "Psynumbra unit" is placed in the traits section and Promethean doesn't have a unit trait at all it seems.